Kleo Pharmaceuticals is an emerging company at the forefront of synthetic organic chemistry and immunology. We are passionate about developing new, innovative small molecule immunotherapies to treat patients with cancer as well as other life-threatening diseases. Our corporate headquarters and labs are located at Science Park adjacent to Yale University in the vibrant city of New Haven, CT.
Please email us your resume to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line if you are interested. We look forward to meeting you.
HEAD OF CHEMISTRY
Description of Role
Kleo is seeking an outstanding individual to join as Head of Chemistry. The Head of Chemistry will report directly to the CEO and will work closely with the CSO to set the strategic direction for the development and application of Kleo’s chemistry platform technologies. The executive will be responsible for recruiting, mentoring, and leading the chemistry group in executing this strategy. The position is based in New Haven, CT.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
- Work closely with CEO and CSO to set the strategic direction for the chemistry group.
- Lead small molecule clinical candidate discovery and optimization with a special emphasis on the development and application of Kleo’s small molecule platform technologies.
- Provide cross-therapeutic area leadership for continued innovation in areas such as novel small molecule lead optimization strategies, target selection, hit & lead selection, and pharmacology.
- Provide appropriate insights and expert diligence on promising external opportunities. Monitor and analyze external scientific and industry developments that affect the Kleo’s scientific strategy and position.
- Provide critical input to and support for Kleo’s IP strategy and its patent drafting, prosecution, and defense efforts.
- Serve as a member of sub-teams to assure that functional deliverables are completed on time, on budget and according to quality standards.
- Establish a close partnering relationship with the clinical study managers to follow up on execution of clinical programs.
- Actively recruit, mentor, and develop outstanding drug discovery scientists and create a culture of engagement, scientific rigor, and innovation.
- A Ph. D. or equivalent in chemistry is required.
- Post-doctoral experience obtained at an academic institution is preferred.
- A minimum of 11 years of medicinal chemistry experience with a strong record of individual and team-level contributions to the discovery and development of multiple novel small molecule clinical compounds and/or approved drugs is required.
- Recognized scientific expert in medicinal and synthetic organic chemistry supported with an outstanding record of high impact publications, oral presentations, and review articles is required.
- Experience in overseeing and directing the day to day scientific activities of peers and junior staff, both internally and at CROs is required.
- The capability to manage budgets and prioritize competing portfolio demands is required.
- A record of success in partnering effectively with
multiple, diverse types of research organizations, including academic institutions, contract research organizations, and public-private consortia is required.
- Extensive experience with novel modalities for
drug discovery; e. g., small/large molecule conjugates, non-oral delivery, etc.
- Experience as a successful therapeutic program team (co)leader is required
- Substantial drug discovery experience in Oncology.
- Experience in managing virtual and/or remote scientific team(s) based overseas is preferred.